22 Key Instagram Statistics
Are you using Instagram to connect with your audience?
And if not, should you?
Okay, that’s a loaded question.
Statistically speaking though, it makes business dollars and sense.
Scan these Instagram stats that show its breadth and depth worldwide. Then use them to shape your Instagram marketing strategy.
Bossy aren’t I?
Who’s using Instagram? So nice of you to ask.
Well, over an eighth of the 7.7 billion people on the planet (and counting). A look at some Instagram user statistics to keep close to your marketing cuff.
1. 1 billion people use Instagram every month
Of the social networks, only Facebook and YouTube have more people logging in. And of Instagram’s 1 billion monthly active users, more than 500 million of them use the platform every day. Want (some of) them to ‘like’ your brand?
2. 88% of users are outside the U.S.
That’s a whole lot of global ad revenue for your products and services. With estimates of almost $7 billion in mobile ad revenue in 2018. Interested in doing business in India, Brazil, Indonesia, Turkey, Russia and Japan? Go for it. Tens of millions of active users for your global products.
3. 71% of Instagram users around the globe are under the age of 35
And the breakdown between women and men is virtually even.
4. 72% of U.S. teens use Instagram
Instagram became the top platform for teenagers in the fall of 2018, when it surpassed Snapchat for the first time.
5. 95% of U.S. Instagrammers use Youtube
…followed by Facebook at 91 percent, and Snapchat at 60 percent. So what, you say? Tell a coherent story for your brand across these platforms. A nice bundle waiting to hear from you.
6. 35% of online adults use Instagram
…with 28 percent of them in the U.S.
And they have money to buy your stuff. The right products for the right income earners. According to a survey of 2,000 U.S. residents’ social media habits by U.K.-based communications consultancy We are Flint, Instagram users span all income brackets:
- Less than $30K: 44% use Instagram
- $30K–$60K: 45%
- $60K–$70K: 36%
- $70K–$80K: 55%
- $80K–$100K: 46%
- $100K+: 60%
7. Quick view stats
Quite a few user stats so far, eh? Some more, consolidated. To keep things simple.
- 34% of Instagram users are millennials
- 22% of all Instagram users log in at least once a day
- 38% of users check Instagram multiple times a day
- 25% of smartphone owners use Instagram
That’s some of the who’s, now on to some of the how’s…
Instagram usage statistics
How are people using Instagram? Another great question.
Let’s learn some of the hows with these Instagram user statistics.
8. Under-25-year-olds use Instagram 32 minutes a day
Compared to 24 minutes per day for 25 and older. This is more than before. Why? Instagram Stories. They make it easy to add a creative flair to any photo or video. You can do the same for your business.
9. Users ‘like’ 4.2 billion posts per day
…making Instagram the happiest place on the internet. And that was in 2016 when there were only 500 million Instagrammers. Is your brand feeling lonely? Get on the ‘like’ band-wagon to make new business friends.
10. 95 million posts per day
And that was in 2016. Surely, a (large) portion of that action is open to your products. What are you waiting for?
11. 500 million people use Stories every day
Up from 300 million in October 2017. Most brands (2 million of them) are telling their stories with Stories. Over 50 percent one month in 2017. With a third of the most viewed Stories created by businesses. It’s pretty obvious Stories work for brands, unless you’re not telling any.
12. 80% increase, year-by-year, for videos
…while the number of videos created each day quadrupled from 2017. Yup, users love their video posts, right from the start. When they launched in 2013, 5 million videos were uploaded in the first 24 hours. Create and run a campaign to feed these video-carnivores. Like Lionsgate UK did for their flick.
13. 157 million followers for Cristiano Ronaldo
Professional soccer player Christiano Renaldo has more followers than any other person on Instagram (Ariana Grande and Selena Gomez are not far behind with 147 and 146 million followers respectively). The most popular Brand on Instagram? Instagram itself, with 283 million fans.
View this post on Instagram
View this post on Instagram
Welcome to the edge of the world. Location: the Faroe Islands. “You need to be there to believe this place actually exists,” says photographer André Alexander (@formgestalter). “The stunning lake that appears to hang above the ocean or sink beneath it, depending on the angle, is the perfect optical illusion.” #WHPsplitscreen Photo by @formgestalter
14. Quick view stats
More quick mentions for how people are using Instagram:
- 60% of users (that’s 600+ million people) seek out and discover new products on Instagram
- Facebook bought Instagram for $715 million
- Users spend on average 53 minutes a day on the Android Instagram app
Instagram for business statistics
Why use Instagram for business? Because it’s already proven to be business-worthy. As noted by these Instagram business statistics. Whether for the global enterprise, or for your mom-and-pop business.
15. 71% of U.S. businesses use Instagram
…edging out Twitter, which has plateaued. But not Instagram. Things are still and will continue to heat up for this personal and business platform.
16. 25 million business profiles
And over 200 million users visiting at least one business profile every day. From clothing to concerts, lingerie to linguine. Including fashion brands, 96 percent of them are on Instagram. Got something to sell? Instagram has people to target.
17. 2 million monthly advertisers on Instagram
This is a great opportunity for businesses to connect with their audiences, whether on-the-go or in the moment.
18. 80% of users follow at least one business
They ain’t shy about following brands. Yet another stat proving Instagram means business.
19. 60% of users discover products on Instagram
More reason for B2C companies to get on the platform.
20. 75% of users take action
…like visiting a website after looking at a brand’s post. Got good looking products? Instagram is the place to show them off.
21. 70% more likely to buy via mobile
Over a third of Instagram users have used their mobile to purchase a product online– making them 70 percent more likely to do so than non-users.
22. Instagram has 2.2% interaction rate
…dwarfing the other networks, including Facebook with its 0.22 percent rate. Instagram is the engagement king.
Other Instagram statistics
- 50% of businesses on Instagram have produced a Story
- 50% of Instagrammers follow brands, making them the social networkers who are most likely to do so.